Our Journey through Infertility and Embryo Adoption


Wednesday, June 24, 2009

How does this "matching" thing work?

I've had a couple of people ask me recently how we get "matched" with a genetic family who has embryos they have decided to donate to another couple. It's really very similar to traditional infant adoption in terms of creating a profile. Once our homestudy is done and our profile is sent in, our profile will be sent to genetic families for them to view. When a family decides that we would be a good fit together, we are sent their profile and are able to decide if we agree or disagree that this would be a good match. Usually their profile includes things about their faith, their hobbies, pictures of their children, etc.

I love the way it goes back and forth - we choose each other. :) While we don't have plans to have a very open adoption, it is good to know that both sides have some say in what happens. And I am really excited to know that we'll be pleased with the match so if it somehow ends up being more open than we've planned, we're happy with our genetic family.

Hope all that makes sense! I'm sure there will be more to come later. :)

No comments: