Our Journey through Infertility and Embryo Adoption


Friday, April 9, 2010

My OB

Okay, so I promised the story of our first appointment with our OB....and I'm finally feeling energetic enough to write it!!

My OB is someone I have known for years. His son was in my 1st grade class when I was student teaching and I have known his family since then, although it has been years since I have seen them. We saw my OB when we first started our TTC journey, but he quickly moved us to our RE when he found out the severity of our IF (after DH's SA). I haven't been there since, and it's been over 4 years.

So when he first came into the office where we were sitting, he was elated to see us. He told us he was so excited to see our name on his appointment list. We got to talk to him about our embryo adoption and our passion for saving these babies. He told us that he is on the OB ProLife Board for Arizona and was so excited about what we had chosen to do. It was fantastic. :)

We moved into the ultrasound room and he gave me a chance to change. When he came back in, he came over to me and asked if it would be okay if he prayed for us and our baby before we got started. Of course we said yes, and he then laid his hand on my belly and held my other hand while he prayed for our little one. He prayed for a safe pregnancy and delivery, and went on to pray for the growth of our little one's faith in Christ as he or she grew up. It was absolutely one of the most amazing things ever.

Afterwards, we got to see our baby! It was amazing. He gave us SO many pictures, and then took a picture of the screen with my cell phone so I already had a digital picture. I started crying when I saw the little heartbeat, and the tears were flowing when I got to hear it. I made the doctor himself tear up....oops!

After the ultrasound, he spent forever talking with us about my prenatal care and how everything would go. Dr. S. is going on a missions trip in June (volunteering in a hospital in Kenya!!) and that will be during my 18 week ultrasound. They send the big ultrasound out anyway, so that's not a big deal. But he made sure to let me know that if they find ANYTHING wrong, they are to take me on as one of their patients until he returns so I am well cared for.

He also talked to us about all the testing we could have done...and then, for the first time ever....a doctor told us WE DIDN'T NEED THE TESTS!!! He said since he knew we wouldn't terminate no matter what, there was no need for expensive tests.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this Dr. will listen to and support any of my birthing plan, prenatal care preferences, etc. He is absolutely amazing, and I am so incredibly blessed to have found a doctor like him.

I can't wait to go back again! I think he said he'll do another ultrasound. :) I can't wait!!!

I cannot believe that after FIVE years, this is finally happening. Our dreams are coming true....and I couldn't feel more thankful for all of it (including this nausea that is coming back as I type). Thank you, God!!

9 comments:

AmyB said...

The fact that your OBGYN prayed with you is a testament to how good he is going to be. NEVER have I heard of an OBGYN doing that! I am so happy for you Heather!!! :D

Aaron and Jennifer said...

Wow - What an awesome OB he sounds like! And that he prayed over you and your baby is absolutely precious and rare! So excited for you guys!

P.S. We are coming from IF from the same place...My husband's SA came back with severely a low sperm count. As devastating as IF has been, I'm SO THANKFUL and EXCITED about saving young lives through embryo adoption! :)

Elizabeth (and Dan) said...

You made me tear up too! So excited to read about your first big appointment. Congrats on the heartbeat! What an amazing moment. Thanks for sharing the details.

Ashley said...

It is so wonderful to have caring, christian doctors out there like that!

Angela said...

I'm so excited for you and even I teared up! How amazing is that to have your doc pray for and with you! Wow! So very happy for you! Can't wait to watch your baby grow!

Heather said...

I don't know why I'm so surprised, but it always amazes me how much joy God can bring out of a situation that initially feels so hopeless. I love His creativity in growing families through EA! And what an incredible OB doc you have! Just icing on the cake!

Mandie said...

I'm so glad that you found someone you can trust!

Unknown said...

What an incredible story and how amazing that he prayed over your baby! So beautiful!

Erin said...

I'm so glad you have such a wonderful doctor, and that he was honest about those tests not being necessary. he sounds like he really cares about you and won't treat you like a number.