Our Journey through Infertility and Embryo Adoption


Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Our Gift

Back in December I mentioned a precious gift that my family gave me, but in all that was going on, I never had a chance to share it with you all.

Shortly after we lost our two beautiful embies in November, my parents wanted to give us something to remember them by. They talked to my brother, who runs the graphics department at his work.

My brother was able to create this precious, amazing, indescribable ornament for us:



He lasered our babies' picture onto the ornament and then talked to someone he works with about cutting out the detail of the snowflake. He would normally do it at work, but he couldn't get the sharp edges he wanted with the equipment he had. When he shared our story with this lady, she offered to cut the ornament for free.

I was touched beyond words that my family went to all this trouble to give us such a special memory of our babes.

And yet, there was more.

Inside the card that contained this ornament, my mama wrote the most amazing poem I have ever written. To this day it brings tears to my eyes.

Little babies,
Tiny and new
Embryos only,
How we wanted you!

Wanted to look into your eyes,
Wanted to touch your hair,
Wanted to hold you in our arms,
But God wanted you there.

Precious babies,
How could it be,
That lives so short,
Meant so much to me?

Little snowflakes,
An answer to prayer,
The beginning of life,
A special pair.

Your picture is precious,
A miraculous start,
No longer with us,
But forever in our heart.



Thank you, Bear. The ornament is beautiful. Thank you, Mom and Dad, for such thoughtfulness in thinking of something like this. And thank you Mama, for putting into words what I couldn't. I love you all so much.

9 comments:

Amy Prikazsky said...

Very sweet and thoughtful. I'm sure your family's support means the world to you! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Erin said...

You have an awesome family!

Aaron and Jennifer said...

That poem brought tears to my eyes too...And that ornament is really one of the most amazing things ever! :)

Maria H. said...

Heather: That is an amazing poem and ornament. That was an incredible thing for your family to do. Just beautiful, just like the snowflakes that inspired it!

Jess said...

That brought tears to my eyes!! How thoughtful and sweet!!!

K. Leatherwood said...

How precious!

julie (julied on HP)

Kerrie said...

That's the sweetest thing ever and you're mom put it absolutely perfectly... what a wonderful thing to have.

Angela said...

Ok, now I'm crying! That is such an amazing gift and that poem is sooo true for many of us! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! God Bless!

Ashley said...

That is such a wonderful gift- the ornament and the poem! What a wonderful loving family you have. That is definitely something to treasure.