Our Journey through Infertility and Embryo Adoption


Friday, January 15, 2010

We've made it 5 years!

Photobucket

Happy Anniversary to us! 5 years ago I married my best friend in a beautiful service on an absolutely perfect day with a wonderful reception filled to the brim with love, laughter and friendship.

If we can get through the past 5 years, we can get through anything! 5 years of infertlity, losing hubby's mom to cancer, losing our niece stillborn at 24 weeks, losing my grandpa to a terrible and heartwrenching Alzheimer's disease, a family dog dying in a terrible accident, two of our precious embryos going to heaven and hubby's years and years of struggles with colitis...it's been a long road.

Not easy on the marriage, you know? But we have done it. Through the grace of God, we are still here, we are still together and we still love each other more than ever. We have learned to communicate better, I have learned to cry a little less and he has learned to listen a little more. We have learned what encourages each other and what drives each other batty. We have discovered when to shut up and when to speak up, when to laugh and when to be serious.

And through it all, we still laugh and have a great time together. We love to sit and watch TV and movies, we love to spend tiem with friends and family. We put a 1,000 piece puzzle together recently - and we had a blast figuring it out together. We love to play games, and we enjoy being silly. We still chase each other around the house sometimes just for the sake of acting like kids. We cherish our dogs and love to roll around with them.

I have started drinking coffee now and again - he still can't stand it. He has learned to put up with some of my TV shows and I've learned to actually enjoy some of his! Our house has come far but still isn't nearly as done as we're hoping it will be someday. We thought we'd move within 5 years, and we are now content to be in this house for years to come. It is our home, and it is filled with love, and yes, still some measure of hope. Hope in what God has for our future, and love for each other and all who enter here.

Plain and simple, I love this man. And I will continue to say I DO for the rest of my life, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health. Why? Because he is an amazing gift from God, and I am blessed. Thank you, God, for this incredible gift.

4 comments:

Maria H. said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!! We have also "benefitted" if that is even possible from our infertility struggles, and it does change you. But, it's a change that you both experience, and you do grow from it. So, while I am SO sorry you have had the infertility issues, I also know that you are both strong and can handle it together! You WILL be awesome parents, I know that will happen for you! CELEBRATE big, and GOOD LUCK with your run tomorrow! GO HEATHER!!!

Tara dS said...

Happy Anniversary! It certainly helps to get through the hard times when you have a partner who is your best friend. Hope the next five years are full of joy and dreams fulfilled for you.

embieadoptmom said...

Happy Anniversary you two!

April said...

How wonderful Heather!