Our Journey through Infertility and Embryo Adoption


Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sad night...

Last we got together at my aunt's house last night with my dad's family. We had a great time enjoying good food (sandwiches and homemade veggie soup!), playing games and just enjoying being around each other. Even though all of the aunts, uncles and cousins live in the same state, we don't often get together - and we're working on changing that.

About 9:30 last night my dad got a call. He used to train a lot for triathlons, half marathons, etc. and he had a couple of friends he grew close to in his training. Well, D. was calling to let Dad know that G.'s heart had stopped and was on his way to the hospital. My parents left immediately and went...but the doctor's were unable to revive G.

G. had a wife and 3 kids (I think that's right...), and was still in incredible shape. He was about 55, and was still doing triathlons and training. I haven't heard details yet, but from what I know his heart suddenly just stopped beating.

I know that I'm heartbroken and I haven't even seen him for years...I remember him, though. He was a funny guy, always so nice. My parents are grieving the loss of a longtime friend, and I can't even begin to imagine what his family is going through.

His youngest son took off and last I heard they didn't know where he went. Would you please join me in prayers for this family? Prayers for comfort in the midst of pain and tregedy, prayers for peace in the midst of so many unanswered questions.

And do me a favor - make sure to let those you cherish know how very much they are loved. Last night was yet another reminder that we are not in control of our lives. That we can do everything possible to keep our bodies healthy and our lives full (and we should), but God is the giver of Life.

To my family and friends, I love you so much. I hope you never for one second forget that. You are more important to me than anything in this world, and my life is different because of each and every one of you.

5 comments:

twondra said...

How sad. I'm so sorry for your loss. The family is in my prayers.

Ashley said...

So sad! Thanks for the reminder!

Jen said...

Great post!!! Thanks for the reminder. This family is in my prayers!!!

Hugs!!!

miracleshappen said...

i'm so sorry Heather. I feel like I've had a large handful of such reminders lately..

Tara dS said...

I am very sorry for your loss. You are right, death does serve to remind us of the many blessings we have, and to be grateful for our loved ones, and to say we love them often. Wishing peace for your family and the family of G.