Our Journey through Infertility and Embryo Adoption


Monday, November 2, 2009

CMV

When I went in for my first routine blood test and ultrasound to make sure I was ready to go in starting my treatment cycle, I was tested for a virus called CMV. 80% of the population has had the CMV virus and it's no big deal - your body develops antibodies when you get it and you rarely get it again in your lifetime.

When the test came back, it showed inconclusive for whether or not I had the virus. They had to do a specialized blood test to determine if it was positive or not. Unfortunately, they ended up having to draw my blood 3 different times because the lab they sent it to kept requesting it be prepared differently. No biggie on the blood draw, but it was delaying the results.

Today K. (IVF Coordinator - love her!) called me back and said my Estradiol levels look great, but the test for the CMV came back with another "iffy" result. It shows slightly elevated levels but not enough for a positive result.

So what on earth does all of this mean?!? It means they are going to check today's blood draw to measure against the initial blood draw and see if the results have gone up, down or stayed the same. At that point they will make a decision to go forward or halt the cycle.

The reason they are being so careful is because if a woman has CMV and becomes pregnant, it can cause birth defects. And so if I have it, they will want to wait until the infection is gone/dormant before we do a cycle.

So it's possible that this cycle could be canceled. And there is that fear again, piercing my heart. I've waited for so long. Of course, I don't want to put my babies at risk, so I will be more than willing to wait if I DO have the virus. But I am praying like crazy that I don't.

Fear is not of the Lord...I know that. But fear is what I feel when I think of waiting longer...I want my babies. I want SOMETHING in this whole infertility mess to work out right. And yet I know that whatever God's plan is is the right plan...even if it's not my plan.

Pray with me tonight? I'll let you all know as soon as I hear anything.

5 comments:

Jess said...

How frustrating! Praying that the tests all come back fine and you do not have to halt the cycle.

Jen said...

Saying prayers as well!!!

Hugs!!!

Mandie said...

((hugs)) It will all be ok dear.

embieadoptmom said...

Praying "CMV BE GONE!"

Niki said...

Oh goodness. I've never even heard of this. How frustrating! Praying for good results, and peace in your heart my sweet friend!